Registration of Marriages
In December 2004, Than Hsiang Temple was assigned by the government to be the Pendaftaran Perkahwinan Daerah Barat Daya. Couples staying in the South West District of Penang Island or elsewhere in Penang can thus register their marriages at Than Hsiang Temple besides doing so at the Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (National Registration) offices in Anson Road and Balik Pulau.
Couples wishing to register their marriage at Than Hsiang Temple may do so on specific Saturdays and Sundays of the month at 2:00pm. This gives working couples a convenient avenue for registering their marriages outside of office hours.
The registration of marriage is conducted by Mr. Tan Peng Huat, the Assistant Registrar of Marriage, in a simple and solemn ceremony. Mr. Tan is a retired engineer and is now the committee member of Than Hsiang Buddhist Welfare Association.
Procedures for Marriage Registration
Collect the registration form from Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN)
~ Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara Offices are as below:
- Ibu Pejabat Pulau Pinang
Tingkat 3, Bangunan Persekutuan, Jln Anson, 10551 Pulau Pinang
Tel: 04-2262558, 04-2271161 Fax: 04-2269320
- Daerah Barat Daya
Kompleks Balik Pulau, 11000 Balik Pulau, Pulau Pinang.
Tel: 04-8668410 Fax : 04-8669846
Taking oaths at Court or Commissioner for Oaths
Submit the registration form to Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN).
Submit the registration form to Than Hsiang Temple
Remark: Either one of the couple MUST with I/C address of Pulau Pinang ; Either one of the couple MUST be a Buddhist.
~ Photocopy the following documents & submit to Than Hsiang Temple (Photocopies must be clear) :
- Original & Photocopies of application from (1 set each)
- Photocopies of couple’s I/C (2 sets each)
- Photocopies of couple’s birth certificates (2 sets each)
- Photocopies of witnesses’ I/C (2 sets each)
- Photocopies of divorcee’s divorce certificate(2 sets) (if applicable)
- Photocopies of death certificate of spouse for widow/widower (2 sets) (if applicable)
Confirm thewith Than Hsiang Temple
the Assistant Registrar of Marriage is yet to receive the approval for license renewal, will provide the date for year 2023 upon received the new license. Sorry for any inconvenience cause.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, we reserved the right to amend the marriage registration dates as when we deem appropriate.
- The couple and witnesses are required to bring along original I/C. (Photocopies I/C not allowed)
- The couple and witnesses are required to wear proper attire. ( T-shirt & Slipper not allowed)
- Rings, bouquet of flowers, photographer are optional.
- All attendees MUST properly wear face mask at all time.
For further details, kindly contact Mitra Welfare Association Penang 04-6451141.